Library employees significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information.
In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, library employees are explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information and ideas to present and future generations.
As an employee of the Jasper County Public Library, I will:
- Provide prompt, accurate and friendly service
- Treat all library users with equal respect and consideration
- Consider every question valid
- Provide information expressing various viewpoints
- Be committed to intellectual freedom, encouraging the exchange of ideas and information and resisting all efforts to censor library resources.
- Foster and support teamwork, cooperation and involvement to all levels of the organization.
- Treat my co-workers with respect and honesty and work as a team with the Library Board in support of the library’s goals.
- Respect and protect the privacy of library patrons to the fullest extent permissible by law.
- Distinguish clearly, in my actions and statements, between my personal philosophy and attitudes and those of my Library.
- Avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained at the expense of library users, colleagues, or my Library.
2/95; revised 2/13